Forums and social networks are not oil and water. They are oil and vinegar for your vinaigrette. Shake gently together and take your marketing salad up a notch.
In fact, there are several things you can do to leverage your social networks to bring in more forum traffic:
- Make sure you have a link to your forums in the profiles of all your social networks
- Pull feeds into your forum home page from the social networks
- Vibe off of the short status updates that happen in the social networks to start longer discussions in the forums...post a Tweet as a topic and then spark a bigger discussion
- Add social login tools, so that your forum members can log in using their existing social network credentials
- Post updates from the hot topics in the forums out to the social networks, with a link back
- Promote special events, offers, or contests from the forums on your social networks
- Add space in your forum registration for members to add their other social networking handles, links, etc.
How are your social networks and forums playing nicely together? Do you have any cool ideas I missed? Do you have a good vinaigrette recipe?
Photo licensed via Creative Commons - catsper